Toyota has been a pioneer in the hybrid vehicle market, offering a range of models that combine fuel efficiency, performance, and environmental friendliness. One of the latest additions to its hybrid lineup is the 2024 Toyota Corolla Cross Hybrid, a compact crossover SUV that offers a spacious interior, a smooth ride, and a fifth-generation hybrid system with all-wheel drive. The Toyota Corolla Cross Hybrid is based on the popular Toyota Corolla sedan but with a higher ground clearance, a larger cargo area, and a more rugged appearance.
But what if you want to stand out from the crowd with a more distinctive look? Toyota has you covered with the Nightshade Edition, a special package that adds some blackout beauty to the Corolla Cross Hybrid. Available exclusively on the SE grade, the Nightshade Edition features 18-inch gloss black alloy wheels, black and red fabric-trimmed interior with red accent stitching, and black-accented head and tail lamps. It also has blacked-out badges, door handles, mirrors, and an integrated rear lip spoiler. You can choose from three chic paint options: Jet Black, Barcelona Red with Jet Black Roof, or Celestite Gray with Jet Black Roof.
The Nightshade Edition also comes with some standard accessories that enhance its practicality and convenience. These include a roof rack for extra storage, wireless charging for your smartphone, a frameless HomeLink rearview mirror that can control your garage door opener and other devices, and carpet floor mats. The Nightshade Edition is expected to arrive at Toyota dealerships this winter, along with the rest of the Corolla Cross Hybrid lineup.
What makes the Corolla Cross Hybrid so appealing?
The 2024 Toyota Corolla Cross Hybrid Nightshade Edition SUV is powered by a 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine and two electric motors that produce a combined output of 196 horsepower. The hybrid system is paired with an electronically controlled continuously variable transmission (CVT) that delivers smooth and responsive acceleration. The Corolla Cross Hybrid also features an electronic on-demand all-wheel drive (e-AWD) system that automatically distributes torque to the rear wheels when needed for enhanced traction and stability.
The Toyota Corolla Cross Hybrid boasts impressive fuel economy ratings as well. According to Toyota’s estimates, the SUV achieves 42 mpg combined for all grades. That means you can save money at the pump and reduce your carbon footprint at the same time. The Corolla Cross Hybrid also has a regenerative braking system that recovers energy from the brakes and stores it in the battery for later use.
How safe is the Corolla Cross Hybrid?
The SUV comes standard with Toyota Safety Sense 3.0, a suite of advanced driver-assist features that help prevent collisions and protect occupants. Some of these features include:
- Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection (PCS w/PD), which can detect vehicles, pedestrians, bicyclists, or motorcyclists in front of you and warn you of a possible collision. If you don’t react in time, the system can apply automatic emergency braking to help avoid or mitigate the impact.
- Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC), which can maintain a preset speed and distance from the vehicle ahead of you on highways. The system can adjust your speed according to traffic conditions and even bring you to a complete stop if necessary.
- Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist (LDA w/SA), which can detect lane markings or road edges and alert you if you are drifting out of your lane. The system can also provide gentle steering correction to help keep you centered in your lane.
- Lane Tracing Assist (LTA), which can follow the path of the vehicle ahead of you or the lane markings when using DRCC. The system can provide active steering assistance to help keep you in your lane and monitor your attentiveness. If you are not paying attention or do not respond to prompts to resume control of the vehicle, the system can bring you to a stop under certain conditions.
- Road Sign Assist (RSA), which can recognize speed limit signs, stop signs, do not enter signs, yield signs, and certain warning signs using an intelligent camera. The system can display an icon of the sign on the multi-information display (MID) for your convenience.
- Automatic High Beams (AHB) can switch between high and low beams automatically depending on the presence of other vehicle’s headlights or taillights. The system can help improve your visibility at night without dazzling other drivers.
The 2024 Toyota Corolla Cross Hybrid Nightshade Edition also offers other safety features such as a blind spot monitor (BSM) with rear cross-traffic alert (RCTA), hill start assist control (HAC), trailer sway control (TSC), eight airbags, and ToyotaCare, a no-cost maintenance plan that covers normal factory scheduled service for two years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first.