Toyota has unveiled a new flagship SUV in Japan to sit alongside its current Century sedan. The Toyota Century SUV forms as a rival to the likes of the Rolls-Royce Cullinan and Bentley Bentayga, offering a blend of luxury, performance, and technology.
The Toyota Century SUV is based on the same platform as the Toyota Grand Highlander, but it is larger and more upscale. It measures 5.2 meters (205 inches) long, 1.95 meters (77 inches) wide, and 1.75 meters (69 inches) tall, with a wheelbase of 3 meters (118 inches). It has a distinctive design that combines the traditional elegance of the Century sedan with the modern flair of the Highlander.
The front fascia features a large chrome grille with vertical slats and the Toyota emblem in the center. The LED headlights have a sleek shape and incorporate daytime running lights and turn signals. The hood has a sculpted profile that enhances the SUV’s presence.
The side profile reveals the SUV’s long and spacious cabin, with a sloping roofline and chrome window trim. The doors have a unique feature: they open outward from the center, creating a wide opening for easy access. The rear doors also have power-operated steps that extend when the door is opened.
The rear end has a clean and simple look, with LED taillights that wrap around the corners and a chrome strip that connects them. The tailgate has a power liftgate function and a spoiler on top. The rear bumper has a diffuser and dual exhaust tips.
The Toyota Century SUV is available in two variants: the standard model and the GR Sport model. The standard model has a more conservative appearance, with 20-inch alloy wheels and chrome accents. The GR Sport model has a more aggressive look, with 21-inch alloy wheels, black accents, and sportier bumpers.
The interior of the Toyota Century SUV is designed to provide the ultimate comfort and convenience for both the driver and the passengers. The cabin is spacious and luxurious, with high-quality materials and craftsmanship.
The dashboard has a minimalist layout, with a 12.3-inch touchscreen infotainment system that supports Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. The instrument cluster has a 7-inch digital display that shows various information and settings. The steering wheel has leather wrapping and wood inserts, as well as buttons for audio, cruise control, and phone functions.
The center console has a rotary knob for selecting the drive modes, as well as buttons for the parking brake, auto hold, hill descent control, and air suspension. There is also a wireless charging pad for smartphones and a 12V power outlet.
The seats are upholstered in leather and have heating, ventilation, massage, and memory functions. The front seats have a 10-way power adjustment, while the rear seats have an 8-way power adjustment. The rear seats also have reclining and folding functions, as well as entertainment screens mounted on the front seatbacks.
The Toyota Century SUV can accommodate up to seven passengers in three rows of seats, but it can also be configured with four or five seats for more space and comfort. The third row of seats can be folded flat to create more cargo space.
The cabin is equipped with various features to enhance the comfort and convenience of the occupants. These include:
- A four-zone automatic climate control system that allows each occupant to set their preferred temperature.
- A panoramic sunroof that lets in natural light and fresh air.
- A 19-speaker JBL sound system that delivers high-quality audio.
- A head-up display that projects key information on the windshield.
- A surround-view camera system that provides a 360-degree view of the surroundings.
- A blind spot monitor that warns of vehicles in the blind spots.
- A rear cross-traffic alert that warns of approaching vehicles when reversing.
- A lane departure alert that warns of unintentional lane changes.
- A lane keep assist that helps keep the vehicle in the center of the lane.
- A pre-collision system that detects potential collisions and applies brakes if necessary.
- An adaptive cruise control that maintains a safe distance from the vehicle ahead.
- A road sign assist that recognizes road signs and displays them on the instrument cluster.