The BMW i5 electric sedan is the latest addition to the German automaker’s electric lineup and promises to be a game-changer in the luxury segment. The i5 is a four-door sedan that combines the performance, design, and technology of BMW with the efficiency and sustainability of electric power. It is expected to hit the market in 2024 and compete directly with the Tesla Model S, Mercedes-Benz EQS and other premium electric vehicles.
What Makes the BMW i5 Special?
The 2024 BMW i5 electric sedan is not just another electric car. It is a statement of BMW’s vision for the future of mobility, showcasing some of the most advanced features and innovations the brand offers. Here are some of the highlights of the i5:
- Powerful and efficient drivetrain. The i5 will be available in two variants: the BMW i5 eDrive40 and the BMW i5 M60. The eDrive40 will have a single electric motor that delivers 335 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque, while the M60 will have a dual-motor setup that boosts the output to 536 horsepower and 586 pound-feet of torque. Both models will have an all-wheel-drive system and an automatic transmission with a single-speed fixed ratio. The BMW i5 eDrive40 will have an estimated range of 270 to 295 miles, while the BMW i5 M60 will have an estimated range of 240 to 256 miles. The battery capacity will be up to 84.3 kWh, and it will support fast charging at up to 200 kW.
- Stunning and futuristic design. The i5 will have a sleek and aerodynamic silhouette that reflects its electric nature. The front end will feature a large kidney grille that is illuminated and serves as an air intake for cooling the battery. The headlights will have a slim and angular shape that gives the car a sharp look. The side profile will have a coupe-like roofline that flows into a short rear deck. The rear end will have a full-width LED taillight bar that connects the L-shaped taillights. The i5 will also have a glass roof that extends from the windshield to the rear window, creating a spacious and airy cabin.
- Luxurious and high-tech interior. The i5 will have a spacious, comfortable cabin accommodating five passengers. The seats will be upholstered in premium leather and have multiple adjustments, heating, ventilation, and massage functions. The dashboard will have a minimalist and modern design, with a large curved display that combines the digital instrument cluster and the infotainment system. The display will be controlled by touch, voice, gesture, or a rotary knob on the center console. The i5 will also have a glass interaction bar with ambient lighting that reacts to touch and creates a soothing atmosphere. The i5 will also feature a Harman Kardon sound system, wireless charging, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and a Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Advanced and innovative features. The i5 will have some of the most cutting-edge features and technologies that BMW has to offer. Some of these include:
- Plug & Charge function. This feature allows the i5 to authenticate and initiate charging sessions at Electrify America stations without user input or payment. The i5 owners will also get 30 minutes of complimentary charging per session.
- My Modes function. This feature allows the driver to customize various aspects of the car, such as driving dynamics, sound design, ambient lighting, climate control, and display settings. There are six predefined modes: Personal, Sport, Efficient, Expressive, Relax, and Digital Art. Each mode creates a different mood and ambiance for the driver and passengers.
- Sound design by Hans Zimmer. This feature creates an artificial sound for the i5 that simulates and transcends the sound of an engine. The sound adapts to the driving situation in real time, creating an immersive and emotional experience for the driver.
- Highway Assistant function. This feature enables semi-autonomous driving at speeds up to 85 mph on controlled-access highways. The system uses cameras, radar, lidar, GPS, and map data to steer, accelerate, brake, change lanes, and maintain distance from other vehicles. The driver must stay attentive and take over if needed.
How Does the BMW i5 Compare to Its Rivals?
The BMW i5 electric sedan is not alone in its quest to conquer the luxury electric sedan market. It faces stiff competition from other established and emerging brands, such as Tesla, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Lucid Motors, Porsche, Genesis, and more.
One of its main rivals is the Tesla Model S, which is widely regarded as the benchmark for electric sedans. The Model S has been on sale since 2012 but has received several updates over the years to keep it relevant and competitive.
The Tesla Model S offers four variants: Long Range, Plaid, and Plaid+. The Long Range has a dual-motor all-wheel-drive system that delivers 670 horsepower and 663 pound-feet of torque. It has an estimated range of 405 miles and a top speed of 155 mph. It can accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in 3.1 seconds and has a starting price of $79,990.
The Plaid has a tri-motor all-wheel-drive system that delivers 1,020 horsepower and 1,050 pound-feet of torque. It has an estimated range of 390 miles and a top speed of 200 mph. It can accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in 1.99 seconds and has a starting price of $119,990.
The Plaid+ has the same tri-motor all-wheel-drive system as the Plaid, but it has a larger battery that increases the range to over 520 miles. It also has a higher top speed and faster acceleration than the Plaid, but the exact figures have not been revealed yet. It has a starting price of $149,990.
The Tesla Model S has some advantages over the i5, such as a longer range, faster acceleration, more power, more variants, and a lower starting price. However, the i5 has some advantages over the Model S, such as a more refined design, a more luxurious interior, more advanced features, better sound quality, and a more established brand reputation.
Another rival for the i5 is the Mercedes-Benz EQS, which is the electric counterpart of the flagship S-Class sedan. The EQS is expected to debut in late 2021 and go on sale in early 2022.
The Mercedes-Benz EQS will have two variants: the EQS 450+ and the EQS 580+. The EQS 450+ will have a single electric motor that delivers 329 horsepower and 406 pound-feet of torque. It will have an estimated range of over 400 miles and a top speed of 130 mph. It can accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in around six seconds and has an estimated starting price of around $100,000.
The Mercedes-Benz EQS 580+ will have a dual-motor all-wheel-drive system that delivers 469 horsepower and 560 pound-feet of torque. It will have an estimated range of over 400 miles and a top speed of over 155 mph. It can accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in around four seconds and has an estimated starting price of around $120,000.
The EQS will have a stunning and futuristic design, with a sleek and aerodynamic shape, a large black panel grille that houses a light strip that connects the LED headlights, and a full-width LED taillight bar that wraps around the rear end. The EQS will also have a glass roof that covers almost the entire cabin, creating a spacious and airy interior.
The EQS will have a luxurious and high-tech interior, with a massive curved display that spans from the driver’s side to the passenger’s side, combining the digital instrument cluster, the infotainment system, and the passenger entertainment system. The display will be controlled by touch, voice, gesture, or a touchpad on the center console. The EQS will also feature a Burmester sound system, wireless charging, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and a Wi-Fi hotspot.
The EQS will have some of the most advanced features and technologies that Mercedes-Benz has to offer. Some of these include:
- MBUX Hyperscreen function. This feature is an extension of the MBUX infotainment system that uses artificial intelligence to learn from the driver’s preferences and habits and provide personalized suggestions and functions.
- Energizing Comfort function. This feature uses various elements, such as climate control, lighting, music, fragrance, and massage, to create different wellness programs for the driver and passengers. The programs are designed to enhance the mood, comfort, and health of the occupants.
- Driving Assistance Plus function. This feature enables semi-autonomous driving at speeds up to 130 mph on various road conditions. The system uses cameras, radar, lidar, GPS, and map data to steer, accelerate, brake, change lanes, and avoid collisions. The driver must stay attentive and take over if needed.
The Mercedes-Benz EQS has some advantages over the i5, such as a longer range, a larger display, more wellness features, and a more futuristic design. However, the i5 has advantages over the EQS, such as more power, driving modes, sound options, and a more sporty look.
When Will the BMW i5 Be Available?
The 2024 BMW i5 is still in the development stage and has not been officially unveiled yet. However, some prototypes have been spotted testing on public roads, giving some clues about its appearance and performance.
According to some reports, the BMW i5 is expected to debut in late 2023 or early 2024 and will go on sale later in 2024. The exact pricing and availability details have not been announced yet, but it is estimated that the i5 will start at around $80,000 for the BMW i5 eDrive40 variant and around $100,000 for the BMW i5 M60 variant.
The BMW i5 will be one of the most anticipated electric cars of 2024, challenging the dominance of Tesla and other rivals in the luxury segment. The i5 will offer a compelling combination of power, efficiency, design, technology, and innovation that will appeal to many customers who are looking for a premium electric sedan.