The mid-size pickup truck market is heating up, with new and updated models from Ford, Nissan, Hyundai, and even Tesla. But one of the most popular and reliable trucks in this segment is not resting on its laurels. The 2024 Toyota Tacoma is ready for its next chapter with a refreshed design, improved performance, and more features than ever before.
The Toyota Tacoma has been a staple of the American truck scene since 1995 when it replaced the smaller Toyota Hilux (also known as the Toyota Pickup). Since then, it has earned a reputation for being tough, dependable, and versatile, appealing to a wide range of customers, from off-road enthusiasts to urban commuters. The Toyota Tacoma has also been a consistent best-seller, outselling its rivals by a large margin year after year.
But the competition is not sleeping. Ford has revived its Ford Ranger nameplate with a modern and capable truck that offers a potent turbocharged engine and a hybrid option. Nissan has redesigned its Frontier with a more aggressive look and a powerful V6 engine. Hyundai has entered the fray with its Hyundai Santa Cruz, a compact and stylish truck that blurs the line between SUV and pickup. And Tesla has promised to deliver its futuristic Tesla Cybertruck, which claims to have unmatched performance and durability.
How does the 2024 Toyota Tacoma stack up against these challengers? Let’s take a closer look at what it has to offer.
The 2024 Toyota Tacoma has received a subtle but noticeable facelift that gives it a more refined and modern appearance. The front grille has been enlarged and reshaped with a hexagonal pattern and chrome accents. The headlights have been slimmed down, and feature LED daytime running lights and turn signals. The bumper has been redesigned with a larger air intake and fog lights.
The side profile of the Tacoma remains largely unchanged, except for some new wheel designs and colors. The rear end has also been updated with new LED taillights and a revised tailgate that features an integrated spoiler and a stamped Tacoma logo.
The 2024 Toyota Tacoma is available in two cab configurations: Access Cab and Double Cab. The Access Cab has two doors and can seat up to four passengers, while the Double Cab has four doors and can seat up to five passengers. The Tacoma also offers two-bed lengths: 5 feet and 6 feet.
The interior of the Toyota Tacoma has also been improved with more comfort and convenience features. The dashboard has been revamped with a new 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system that supports Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, Amazon Alexa, and wireless charging. The instrument cluster has been replaced with a 7-inch digital display that shows various information such as speed, fuel level, odometer, a trip computer, and driver assistance systems.
The seats have been upgraded with more padding and support, as well as heating and ventilation options. The rear seats have also been enhanced with more legroom and headroom, as well as fold-down armrests and cup holders. The cabin also features more storage spaces, such as door pockets, center console bins, glove box, an overhead console, and under-seat compartments.
The 2024 Toyota Tacoma offers two engine options: a 2.7-liter four-cylinder engine that produces 159 horsepower and 180 pound-feet of torque and a 3.5-liter V6 engine that delivers 278 horsepower and 265 pound-feet of torque. Both engines are paired with either a six-speed manual or a six-speed automatic transmission.
The four-cylinder engine is adequate for daily driving and light-duty tasks, but the V6 engine is more suitable for towing, hauling, and off-roading. The V6 engine also features Toyota’s D-4S technology, which combines direct injection and port injection to optimize fuel efficiency and performance.
The 2024 Toyota Tacoma can tow up to 6,800 pounds when equipped with the V6 engine and the Tow Package, which includes a Class IV hitch receiver, a transmission cooler, an engine oil cooler, a power steering cooler, a 130-amp alternator, a trailer brake controller pre-wire harness (for models without JBL audio), trailer sway control (TSC), smart stop technology (SST), hill start assist control (HAC), downhill assist control (DAC), crawl control (CRAWL), multi-terrain select (MTS), locking rear differential (LSD), active traction control (A-TRAC), skid plates (for models without TRD Off-Road package), tow/haul mode switch (for models without TRD Sport package), heavy-duty battery (for models without JBL audio), heavy-duty alternator (for models without JBL audio), heavy-duty starter (for models without JBL audio), heavy-duty heater (for models without JBL audio), heavy-duty air conditioning (for models without JBL audio), heavy-duty radiator fan coupling (for models without JBL audio), heavy-duty water pump seal kit (for models without JBL audio), heavy-duty front stabilizer bar bushings (for models without TRD Sport package), heavy-duty rear stabilizer bar bushings (for models without TRD Sport package), heavy-duty rear leaf spring bushings (for models without TRD Sport package), heavy-duty front shock absorber bushings (for models without TRD Sport package), heavy-duty rear shock absorber bushings (for models without TRD Sport package).
The 2024 Toyota Tacoma can also easily handle various terrains thanks to its four-wheel drive system, which features an electronically controlled transfer case and an automatic limited-slip differential (Auto LSD). The Tacoma also offers several packages that enhance its off-road capabilities:
- The TRD Off-Road package adds Bilstein shocks, 16-inch alloy wheels with all-terrain tires, a hood scoop, black over-fenders, TRD Off-Road decals, a TRD shift knob, a TRD floor mats, a TRD Pro grille, and an off-road-tuned suspension.
- The TRD Pro package adds Fox shocks, 16-inch black alloy wheels with all-terrain tires, a TRD Pro skid plate, a TRD Pro cat-back exhaust, a TRD Pro badge on the tailgate, a black roof rack, a black hood scoop, black over-fenders, TRD Pro decals, a TRD Pro shift knob, a TRD Pro floor mats, a TRD Pro leather-trimmed seats, and an exclusive Army Green color option.
- The Trail Special Edition package adds black exterior badging, black mirrors, black door handles, black rear bumper, 16-inch dark gray alloy wheels with all-terrain tires, a lockable bed storage system with insulation, a 120-volt power outlet in the bed, all-weather floor liners, and tan stitching on the seats.
The 2024 Toyota Tacoma is not only rugged and capable but also smart and safe. It comes with several features that make driving easier and more enjoyable:
- A panoramic view monitor (PVM) that provides a 360-degree view of the surroundings
- A multi-terrain monitor (MTM) that shows the terrain conditions under the vehicle
- A blind spot monitor (BSM) with rear cross-traffic alert (RCTA) that warns of vehicles in the blind spots or approaching from behind when reversing
- A rear parking assist sonar (RPAS) that helps detect obstacles behind the vehicle
- A dynamic radar cruise control (DRCC) that maintains a preset speed and distance from the vehicle ahead
- A lane departure alert (LDA) with a sway warning system (SWS) that alerts the driver if the vehicle deviates from its lane
- A pre-collision system with pedestrian detection (PCS w/PD) that helps prevent or mitigate frontal collisions
- An automatic high beams (AHB) system that switches between high and low beams depending on the traffic conditions
- A tire pressure monitor system (TPMS) that displays the tire pressure of each tire
The 2024 Toyota Tacoma also offers several options for entertainment and connectivity:
- A JBL premium sound system with nine speakers, including a subwoofer and amplifier
- A SiriusXM satellite radio with a three-month trial subscription
- A Wi-Fi hotspot with a three-month trial subscription
- A Qi-compatible wireless smartphone charging pad
The 2024 Toyota Tacoma starts at $26,400 for the base SR model with the four-cylinder engine and two-wheel drive. The price goes up depending on the cab configuration, bed length, engine option, transmission choice, drive type, trim level, and package selection.
The most expensive model is the TRD Pro Double Cab with a V6 engine and four-wheel drive, which costs $46,780.
The 2024 Toyota Tacoma is a solid choice for anyone looking for a mid-size pickup truck that can handle any challenge. It offers a range of options to suit different needs and preferences, from the basic SR to the luxurious Limited to the rugged TRD Pro. It also comes with a host of features that make driving safer, easier, and more fun.
The Toyota Tacoma may not be the most powerful, efficient, or innovative truck in its class, but it is one of the most reliable, durable, and versatile. It has a loyal fan base that appreciates its quality and value. It has also won several awards and accolades from various organizations and publications.
The 2024 Toyota Tacoma is ready to take on the mid-size pickup truck market with confidence and style. It is a truck you can trust and enjoy for years.