If you are looking for a supercar that can zip through the urban jungle, you might be disappointed by the usual suspects. Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and McLarens are great for the track but not so much for the city. They are too big, too loud, too thirsty, and too expensive to maintain. Plus, good luck finding a parking spot for your exotic machine.
But what if there was a supercar that was designed specifically for the city? A supercar that was small, quiet, efficient, and affordable? A supercar that could fit in any space, run on any outlet, and cost less than a used Honda Civic or a new Fiat 500e?
Meet the Citroen Ami, the perfect supercar for the city.
What is the Citroen Ami?
The Citroen Ami is not a car. It is a large electric quadricycle that can be driven by anyone over 16 years old in Europe with a moped license. It is the latest creation from the French automaker that is known for its quirky and innovative vehicles.
The Ami is a tiny two-seater that measures only 2.4 meters long and 1.4 meters wide. It weighs just 458 kg, including the 5.5 kWh battery pack that powers an 8 hp electric motor. The top speed is limited to 28 mph, and the range is up to 47 miles on a single charge.
The body of the Ami is made of blue plastic panels that are unpainted and interchangeable. The front and rear sections are identical, as are the side windows and doors. The driver's door is hinged at the rear, while the passenger's door is hinged at the front. The interior is minimalist and functional, with a digital display, a smartphone holder, and a few buttons and switches.
The Citroen Ami is not meant to be a car replacement but rather a personal mobility device that competes with bicycles, scooters, and public transport. It is ideal for short trips within the city, where speed and comfort are not as important as convenience and practicality.
How much does the Citroen Ami cost?
The Citroen Ami is one of the most affordable vehicles on the market. In France, it costs only 6,900 euros ($8,000) to buy outright or 2,644 euros ($3,000) to lease for two years with a 2,644 euro ($3,000) down payment. Alternatively, customers can rent the Ami by the minute or by the month through a car-sharing service called Free2Move.
In the UK, the Citroen Ami prices have not been announced yet. However, Citroen UK has said that it will offer similar options as in France, as well as a subscription model that will include insurance and maintenance.
The running costs of the Citroen Ami are also very low. The electricity consumption is estimated at 0.7 euros ($0.8) per 100 km (62 miles), and the maintenance is minimal due to the simple design and construction. The Ami also benefits from tax exemptions and parking discounts in some cities.
What are the pros and cons of the Citroen Ami?
The Citroen Ami has many advantages over conventional cars in urban environments. Some of them are:
- It is easy to drive and park. The Ami has a turning radius of only 7.2 meters (23 feet), which means it can maneuver in tight spaces and make U-turns on narrow streets. It can also fit in half a parking spot or perpendicular to the curb.
- It is eco-friendly and economical. The Ami produces zero emissions and consumes very little electricity. It also saves money on fuel, insurance, registration, and maintenance.
- It is fun and fashionable. The Ami has a distinctive and cheerful look that stands out from the crowd. It also has a customizable exterior and interior, with different colors and accessories available.
- It is safe and comfortable. The Ami has a sturdy steel frame and four airbags that protect the occupants in case of an accident. It also has heating, ventilation, Bluetooth connectivity, USB ports, and LED lights.
Of course, the Citroen Ami also has some drawbacks that limit its appeal and usability. Some of them are:
- It is slow and short-ranged. The Ami can only reach 28 mph, which means it cannot go on highways or fast roads. It also has a limited range of 47 miles, which means it cannot go very far without recharging.
- It is basic and bare-bones. The Ami has no windows or doors that can be opened or closed. It also has no air conditioning or radio. The ride quality is harsh and noisy due to the small wheels and suspension.
- It is not very practical or spacious. The Ami has very little room for luggage or passengers. It also has no trunk or glove box. The only storage space is a small compartment behind the seats.
- It is not very versatile or adaptable. The Ami is designed for urban use only and cannot handle rough terrain or bad weather. It also cannot tow or carry anything heavy.
Is the Citroen Ami worth it?
The Citroen Ami is not a car for everyone. It is a niche product that caters to a specific segment of the market: young, urban, and eco-conscious customers who need a simple and cheap way to get around the city.
For these customers, the Citroen Ami offers a unique and attractive alternative to other modes of transport. It is more comfortable and convenient than a bike or a scooter and more personal and flexible than a bus or a train.
However, for customers who need more speed, range, comfort, or practicality, the Ami is not a suitable option. There are other electric vehicles that can offer better performance, features, and value for money.
The Citroen Ami is not a supercar in the traditional sense of the word. It does not have the power, the speed, or the luxury of a Ferrari or a Lamborghini. But it is a supercar in its own way. It has the charm, the innovation, and the personality of a Citroen. And that makes it super enough for the city.